Jim Williams has extensive education and experience in the field of project management. He served roles of increasing project responsibility during his twenty-five year career in the telecommunications industry, beginning as a project contributor and culminating as a program manager directing the work of a team of project managers.
Mr. Williams is certified as a Project Management Professional© by the Project Management Institute. He also holds an Advanced Project Management Certificate from the International Institute for Learning, and a Masters Certificate in Project Management from George Washington University.
His formal education includes a Bachelor of Science degree in Telecommunications Management from City University and a Master of Business Administration degree from the University of Phoenix.
He is an avid sailboat racer and occasional golfer.
A Project / Program Management Consultant with more than 20 years of delivering diverse and challenging projects, part of more than 30 years of overall experience in technical fields. Project Management expertise is supported by work performed as a project contributor, having performed the roles of engineer, installer and maintainer of equipment and software used in public and private telecommunications networks. Broad project management experience covers many facets of the discipline, from planning and executing projects, to writing project management practices, to teaching in-house project management methodologies. Experiences focused on new product development and implementation, as well as state-of-the-art IT applications. Excellent communication and presentation skills ensure that relevant stakeholders are kept apprised of project progress and challenges, while ensuring that the level of detail is appropriate for each audience. Unique blend of IT and general management experience ensures that technical projects are continuously focused on business needs. Equally capable of handling large, complex projects, as well as multitasking across a number of smaller ones, adapting management style to fit the situation.
- Certified as a Project Management Professional (PMP) by the Project Management Institute, 1998
- Software application fluency: Microsoft’s Project, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access and Visio products, LBMS (now Computer Associates) Process Engineer
- Passed written test for CompTIA Certified Technical Trainer+. (Video portion is being planned.)
Barbara-James Consulting - 2001 - Present
Project Management Consultant, primarily providing training for HyperLearning Technologies.
- Project Management Fundamentals (Element K Course 079160)
- Microsoft Project Level 1 (Element K Course 084725)
- Microsoft Project Level 2 (Element K Course 084726)
- Project Management Professional preparation
Verizon Wireless (formerly GTE Wireless), Atlanta, GA - 1997 - 2001
Project Manager, Information Technologies
- Implemented Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) capabilities for invoicing and accepting payments.
- Managed program consisting of 23 billing system enhancement projects with a program budget of $6M, part of GTE Wireless’ top-priority program in 1999. Worked closely with the vendor’s project managers to ensure that program came in ahead of schedule, exceeding specifications, while meeting budget (including approved changes).
- Presented weekly status reports to Senior Management (Directors and Assistant Vice Presidents) for the above program, covering project accomplishments, risks, issues, changes, and earned value-based cost / schedule performance. Became "go-to guy" for important and last minute project presentations.
- Presented monthly status reports to Executive Steering Committee (Senior Vice President and Vice Presidents) for the above program, covering major project risks, issues and cost / schedule performance. Committee was pleased with level and quality of communications.
- Taught project team members the Capability Maturity Model (CMM) concepts and CMM-compliant procedures to be used in the above program, resulting in the program being certified to be CMM level 2 compliant by an outside evaluator.
- Led program to develop and deploy a customer contact management system for use by Sales. System is a set of Web-based Java applications running on NT, developed with IBM’s WebSphere. Data for this application is downloaded from the corporate data warehouse and is managed on a separate UNIX server running Oracle.
- Oversaw project to develop and deploy a UNIX-based electronic commerce mitigation system to allow GTE to resell another wireless company’s services via extranets. Platform incorporated Corba, IBM’s MQ and custom C++ code, and was developed under a $1.8M budget. It was on schedule and within budget when abandoned due to the GTE / Bell Atlantic merger.
- Guided project to develop (in house) a system to provide fresh, accurate price and coverage content to web-based resellers. Data was securely transferred in XML format using encryption and Aegis authentication.
- Coached all teams on project management expectations, deliverables, and roles / responsibilities, resulting in better teamwork as compared to projects managed without similar coaching.
- Managed five employees in a new PMO Support organization, responsible for procedure development and deployment, compliance, and management reporting. Processes that were deployed successfully standardized and streamlined projects.
GTE Telephone Operations - 1989 - 1997
Project Manager, New Products and Services, Dallas, TX (1994 - 1997)
- Led teams in the development and deployment of new products and services, including ADSL, ISDN, Video Connect, Virtual (ISP) POP, and X.25 Connect.
- Represented GTE at semiannual North American ISDN User’s Forum (NIUF), sponsored by the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST).
Standardization Manager - Switching Systems, Dallas, TX / Phoenix, AZ (1989 - 1994)
- Led product evaluation teams to solicit and evaluate Requests for Proposals in support of marketing strategies.
- Participated as a key stakeholder in manufacturers’ new feature development teams.
- Led teams to test and deploy new features delivered by switch manufacturers.
- Approved training material and participated as a Subject Matter Expert for ISDN training delivered via closed-circuit television to GTE sales, provisioning and maintenance forces.
- Developed "road show" training for Video Connect and Video Bridge services and delivered to GTE sales, provisioning and maintenance forces.
Advanced Project Management Certificate - International Institute for Learning, 2005
Masters Certificate - Project Management, George Washington University, 1998
MBA (Honors Graduate), University of Phoenix, 1996
BS - Telecommunications Management (Honors Graduate), City University, 1990