Installing and Configuring Windows 7 Client (Exam 70-680)
Course ID: HLT 6292
Course Length: 5 day Custom Class
This five-day instructor-led course is intended for IT professionals who are interested in expanding their knowledge base and technical skills about Windows 7 Client. In this course, students learn how to install, upgrade, and migrate to Windows 7 client. Students then configure Windows 7 client for network connectivity, security, maintenance, and mobile computing. HyperLearning teaches this course as a 5 day course to allow sufficient time for learning and lab work.
This course is intended for IT professionals who are interested in:
- Expanding their knowledge base and technical skills about Windows 7 Client.
- Acquiring deep technical knowledge of Windows 7.
- Learning the details of Windows 7 technologies.
- Focusing on the "how to" associated with Windows 7 technologies.
Most of these professionals use some version of Windows client at their work place and are looking at new and better ways to perform some of the current functions.
Before attending this course, students must have:
- Experience installing PC hardware and devices.
- Basic understanding of TCP/IP and networking concepts.
- Basic Windows and Active Directory knowledge.
- The skills to map network file shares.
- Experience working from a command prompt.
- Basic knowledge of the fundamentals of applications. For example, how client computer applications communicate with the server.
- Basic understanding of security concepts such as authentication and authorization.
- An understanding of the fundamental principles of using printers.
Instructor led, group-paced, classroom-delivery learning model with structured hands-on activities.
Performance-Based Objectives :
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Perform a clean installation of Windows 7, upgrade to Windows 7, and migrate user-related data and settings from an earlier version of Windows.
- Configure disks, partitions, volumes, and device drivers to enable a Windows 7 client computer.
- Configure file access and printers on a Windows 7 client computer.
- Configure network connectivity on a Windows 7 client computer.
- Configure wireless network connectivity on a Windows 7 client computer.
- Optimize and maintain the performance and reliability of a Windows 7 client computer.
- Configure mobile computing and remote access settings for a Windows 7 client computer.
Lesson 1: Installing, Upgrading, and Migrating to Windows 7
This module explains how to install, upgrade and migrate to Windows 7. It also describes the key features, editions, and hardware requirements of Windows 7.
Topic 1A: Preparing to Install Windows 7
Topic 1B: Performing a Clean Installation of Windows 7
Topic 1C: Upgrading and Migrating to Windows 7
Topic 1D: Performing Image-based Installation of Windows 7
Topic 1E: Configuring Application Compatibility
Lesson 2: Configuring Disks and Device Drivers
This module examines how to configure disks, partitions, volumes, and device drivers to enable Windows 7 to function as desired.
Topic 2A: Partitioning Disks in Windows 7
Topic 2B: Managing Disk Volumes
Topic 2C: Maintaining Disks in Windows 7
Topic 2D: Installing and Configuring Device Drivers
Lesson 3: Configuring File Access and Printers on Windows 7 Client Computers
This module explains how to manage access to shared folders and printers on a computer running Windows 7. Specifically, it describes how to share and secure folders, configure folder compression, and how to install, configure, and administer printing.
Topic 3A: Overview of Authentication and Authorization
Topic 3B: Managing File Access in Windows 7
Topic 3C: Managing Shared Folders
Topic 3D: Configuring File Compression
Topic 3E: Managing Printing
Lesson 4: Configuring Network Connectivity
This module explains both IPv4 and IPv6 network connectivity. It also describes how to implement automatic IP Address Allocation and troubleshoot network connectivity.
Topic 4A: Configuring IPv4 Network Connectivity
Topic 4B: Configuring IPv6 Network Connectivity
Topic 4C: Implementing Automatic IP Address Allocation
Topic 4D: Troubleshooting Network Issues
Lesson 5: Configuring Wireless Network Connections
This module describes key wireless network technologies and how to configure wireless network components and the Windows 7 elements that are necessary to access wireless networks.
Topic 5A: Overview of Wireless Networks
Topic 5B: Configuring a Wireless Network
Lesson 6: Securing Windows 7 Desktops
This module describes how to make a Windows 7 computer more secure while ensuring usability is not sacrificed in the process. Specifically, it describes Windows Firewall, User Account Control, Windows Defender, and Security in Internet Explorer 8.
Topic 6A: Overview of Security Management in Windows 7
Topic 6B: Securing a Windows 7 Client Computer by Using Local Security Policy Settings
Topic 6C: Securing Data by Using EFS and BitLocker
Topic 6D: Configuring Application Restrictions
Topic 6E: Configuring User Account Control
Topic 6F: Configuring Windows Firewall
Topic 6G: Configuring Security Settings in Internet Explorer 8
Topic 6H: Configuring Windows Defender
Lesson 7: Optimizing and Maintaining Windows 7 Client Computers
This module describes how to use the monitoring and configuration tools to obtain information about Windows 7 performance and how to troubleshoot performance and reliability problems
Topic 7A: Maintaining Performance by Using the Windows 7 Performance Tools
Topic 7B: Maintaining Reliability by Using the Windows 7 Diagnostic Tools
Topic 7C: Backing Up and Restoring Data by Using Windows Backup
Topic 7D: Restoring a Windows 7 System by Using System Restore Points
Topic 7E: Configuring Windows Update
Lesson 8: Configuring Mobile Computing and Remote Access in Windows 7
This module explains how to configure mobile devices and remote access. It also discusses DirectAccess and BranchCache which are new for Windows 7.
Topic 8A: Configuring Mobile Computer and Device Settings
Topic 8B: Configuring Remote Desktop and Remote Assistance for Remote Access
Topic 8C: Configuring DirectAccess for Remote Access
Topic 8D: Configuring BranchCache for Remote Access